Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Altered Day Planner

Hi Everyone,

I bought this day planner at the Dollar Tree awhile back and have been using it with its original bland blue cover, and this week's Color Inspiration Challenge over at Peachy Keen inspired me to FINALLY revamp it. I've been meaning to do it for a long time, but seeing as how long it took me, I'm glad I didn't try and accomplish it before my summer because I wouldn't have had time! :)

My husband and I are in the home buying process, and I'm dreaming that one of the bedrooms will become a craft room. Once I have a craft room, I'm hoping that projects will take less time if I have designated stations for things...Crafty friends with awesome craft room, do you think that's true? I just find that inaccessibility of paper and what not causes me to dig through EVERYTHING every time I have a project.

If you go to Peachy Keen Stamps Website, you will find Amy's "Kitty Notebook Tutorial by: Amy Crockett," which is where I got the instructions for altering notebooks. Thanks, Amy for the amazing instructions!

Here is a full shot of the notebook. I'm entering this notebook into the Peachy Keen Color Inspiration Challenge #24.

Materials used:

  • Day Planner (I discarded the original front cover after using it as a template and ended up with a very durable chipboard cover covered int his awesome animal print paper)
  • Cricut Cindy Loo for the Babushka cut
  • Cricut Feelin Groovy for the letters in my name
  • stamp from unknown brand for the banner
  • Peachy Keen Create a Critter Face Assortment for the Babushka face
  • the back panel is made from a coordinating piece of paper. 
  • twine for the vertical strings that are tied and for our little doll's bow in her hair.
  • flocking powder
  • gell roll pen for faux stitching on letter shadow
  • Tsukneko inks for all of my cuts in coordinating colors

I used the flocking technique for the first time on the outermost layer of our little babushka doll. It was very simple! All I did was run tape from my tape runner to cover the entire piece, sprinkle pink flocking powder over it and finally took my finger and rubbed it all over the piece to make sure the flocking powder applied evenly and to avoid bald spots. I have a Zyron sticker maker, which many people use for flocking, but I don't know where mine is right now (another reason why a craft room is needed, so I can spread my tools out! :)) I used this poker took that I have to poke out the extra flocking powder that got caught in the little holes of the cut.

I paper pieced the two little banners, which was super easy. All you have to do is stamp whatever stamp you want on (in my case 3) different pieces of paper, and then you cut out the shapes and adhere them to your page. 
 I inserted 4 eyelets with my crop-a-dile, which I also had to relearn how to do...I forget some of these techniques (I just googled a youtube video quickly). I strung twine in powder pink and a light green just to add an extra little touch.

Thanks for reading, friends! Until next time...Happy 4th of July!

<3, Katie